Subject: 26.0.50; tramp should respect large-file-warning-threshold

From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 14:21:05 +0000

If from dired you attempt to copy a file to a tramp ssh dired (I have
dired-dwim-target set to t) and that file is very large, emacs will pause
for some time and eventually stop with:

tramp-file-name-handler: Memory exhausted--use C-x s then exit and
restart Emacs

If tramp is going to open the file and it is large I think it should
warn the user (respecting large-file-warning-threshold?) rather than
going ahead without confirmation and erroring with an alarming message!

Robert

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.25)
 of 2017-03-06 built on ct-lt-579
Repository revision: 0fae08d0072f74d97ca70b91a4d46d8d28a03952
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix