Subject: bug#26011: closed (Re: bug#26011: 26.0.50; tramp should respect large-file-warning-threshold)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 16:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#26011: 26.0.50; tramp should respect large-file-warning-threshold

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26011: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26011
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26011: 26.0.50; tramp should respect large-file-warning-threshold
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 17:38:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Robert Marshall <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Robert,

> Yes that's better thank you, you still get the transient error if I
> continue (my file was 4Gig) but I guess it's too late to do anything
> else by the time it gets there

Once you confirm to copy/rename a huge file, its contents is loaded into
a temporary buffer. And yes, if it's too large, memory is exhausted.
There's nothing Tramp could know in advance, and prevent it.

If you handle regularly such huge files, Tramp's "scp" method is
superiour to "ssh".

I've pushed the patch to both Emacs and Tramp repositories, closing the bug.

> Robert

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 26.0.50; tramp should respect large-file-warning-threshold
From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 14:21:05 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If from dired you attempt to copy a file to a tramp ssh dired (I have
dired-dwim-target set to t) and that file is very large, emacs will pause
for some time and eventually stop with:

tramp-file-name-handler: Memory exhausted--use C-x s then exit and
restart Emacs

If tramp is going to open the file and it is large I think it should
warn the user (respecting large-file-warning-threshold?) rather than
going ahead without confirmation and erroring with an alarming message!

Robert

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.25)
 of 2017-03-06 built on ct-lt-579
Repository revision: 0fae08d0072f74d97ca70b91a4d46d8d28a03952
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix