Subject: 26.0.50; Mismatch between documented and actual behaviour of icomplete

From: Alexis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 22:12:20 +1100

* Create a test directory containing three files: '1', '2', '3'.

* Change to that directory and run emacs -Q.

* M-x icomplete-mode

* C-x C-f

* C-j

Section 19.7.2 of the Emacs manual states:

"At any time, you can type ‘C-j’ to select the first completion in the
list."

Reading left-to-right, '1' is the first item in the list. So C-j
should visit that file. Instead, it visits '3'.

--

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.8)
 of 2017-02-27 built on debian
Repository revision: 8db75f0ef9ad821bab0a2613bb8e549edbf14eb6
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11901000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 (stretch)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Icomplete mode enabled

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: C
  value of $LC_TIME: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  icomplete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message puny seq byte-opt subr-x gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils cus-start cus-load icomplete time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 103412 6170)
 (symbols 48 21091 1)
 (miscs 40 47 129)
 (strings 32 19810 4401)
 (string-bytes 1 604390)
 (vectors 16 14041)
 (vector-slots 8 478821 4680)
 (floats 8 50 66)
 (intervals 56 206 1)
 (buffers 976 11))