Subject: 25.2; support gcc fixit notes

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 14:47:57 -0700

With -fdiagnostics-parseable-fixits, GCC can emit "fixit" notes that
tell how to apply a patch to fix a problem.

For example for this:

struct x {
  int field;
};

struct x y;

int main() {
  return y.feld;
}

I get:

q.c: In function ‘main’:
q.c:8:12: error: ‘struct x’ has no member named ‘feld’; did you mean ‘field’?
   return y.feld;
            ^~~~
            field
fix-it:"q.c":{8:12-8:16}:"field"

The documentation, from the gcc manual:

================================================================
@item -fdiagnostics-parseable-fixits
@opindex fdiagnostics-parseable-fixits
Emit fix-it hints in a machine-parseable format, suitable for consumption
by IDEs.  For each fix-it, a line will be printed after the relevant
diagnostic, starting with the string ``fix-it:''.  For example:

@smallexample
fix-it:"test.c":@{45:3-45:21@}:"gtk_widget_show_all"
@end smallexample

The location is expressed as a half-open range, expressed as a count of
bytes, starting at byte 1 for the initial column.  In the above example,
bytes 3 through 20 of line 45 of ``test.c'' are to be replaced with the
given string:

@smallexample
00000000011111111112222222222
12345678901234567890123456789
  gtk_widget_showall (dlg);
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  gtk_widget_show_all
@end smallexample

The filename and replacement string escape backslash as ``\\", tab as ``\t'',
newline as ``\n'', double quotes as ``\"'', non-printable characters as octal
(e.g. vertical tab as ``\013'').

An empty replacement string indicates that the given range is to be removed.
An empty range (e.g. ``45:3-45:3'') indicates that the string is to
be inserted at the given position.
================================================================

I think Emacs should support this in compilation mode buffers.
A few thoughts on the implementation:

* The filename quoting stuff will require a bit of unquoting
* The offsets are byte offsets, not columns, which is a bit of a pain
  (or at least, it is for me since I don't know how to handle that in
  elisp)
* One way for this to work would be to display the buffer and 
  show the proposed change as an overlay; and then use y-or-n-p
  to ask whether it should be applied.  I was thinking something like:

(defun compilation--fixit-make-overlay (start end text)
  (let ((overlay (make-overlay start end)))
    (overlay-put overlay 'face 'diff-removed)
    (overlay-put overlay 'after-string
                 (propertize text 'face 'diff-added))
    overlay))

  With this approach perhaps nothing could be done if the fixit was
  already visited, or if the buffer text already matches the
  replacement.

* However other approaches are possible, like letting the user request
  no confirmation, or request "auto-apply all changes" or something.
  Maybe a fixit should be associated with the previous error somehow.

* Allowing "fixit" to be handled specially in compile mode might mean
  adding a new "type" value, not sure.

Tom

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.8)
 of 2017-03-02 built on bapiya
Repository revision: 6e788ef0e262fafc014c21f4ad52cc5dc9f1715b
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11901000
System Description:	Fedora release 25 (Twenty Five)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install/ --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Discard changes to this group and exit? (y or n) y
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving Gnus registry (13456 entries) to ~/.gnus.registry.eieio...
Saving Gnus registry (size 13456) to ~/.gnus.registry.eieio...done
Saving file /home/tromey/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/tromey/.newsrc
Saving /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/play/bubbles
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-inspect hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-client hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(org-bullets org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs gnus-html xml url-cache mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
gnus-draft xref project mail-hist nnir url-util url-parse url-vars
shr-color shr dom subr-x browse-url flow-fill mm-archive smiley
gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft
nnmh nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry
registry eieio-compat eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader cus-edit find-dired
bug-reference texinfo vc-mtn vc-hg tabify man term/xterm xterm shadow
emacsbug network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mailalias smtpmail sort
mailcap bbdb-message sendmail mail-extr vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs whitespace log-edit message idna dired rfc822 mml mml-sec
epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds shell rx dabbrev eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe find-func copyright debug add-log vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode misearch multi-isearch jka-compr flyspell ispell
diminish edmacro kmacro projectile grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer dash
appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs which-func
imenu minimap autorevert filenotify cus-start cus-load status
erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks
erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-netsplit erc-hl-nicks
color erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies erc erc-backend
erc-compat format-spec auth-source eieio gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache thingatpt pp warnings advice vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bbdb
bbdb-site timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server savehist
finder-inf dwarf-mode-autoloads gdb-shell-autoloads eieio-core
lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look cl-seq cl-macs cl
weblogger-autoloads info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
bbdb-loaddefs time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 997972 86208)
 (symbols 48 117986 0)
 (miscs 40 21518 46)
 (strings 32 431164 32131)
 (string-bytes 1 10881610)
 (vectors 16 99059)
 (vector-slots 8 2222084 4114)
 (floats 8 851 728)
 (intervals 56 31730 1034)
 (buffers 976 62))