Subject: bug#25983: 25.2; set dired-directory in vc-dir mode

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 10:55:21 -0700

I'd find it handy if vc-dir buffers had dired-directory set.
This can serve as an indication that the buffer is associated with some
directory, even though it's not visiting a file.

I've appended the patch I would like to apply.
Let me know what you think.

Tom

diff --git a/lisp/vc/vc-dir.el b/lisp/vc/vc-dir.el
index 0363aab..2281333 100644
--- a/lisp/vc/vc-dir.el
+++ b/lisp/vc/vc-dir.el
@@ -1016,6 +1016,7 @@ vc-dir-mode
     (set (make-local-variable 'vc-ewoc) (ewoc-create #'vc-dir-printer))
     (set (make-local-variable 'revert-buffer-function)
 	 'vc-dir-revert-buffer-function)
+    (setq dired-directory default-directory)
     (setq list-buffers-directory (expand-file-name "*vc-dir*" default-directory))
     (add-to-list 'vc-dir-buffers (current-buffer))
     ;; Make sure that if the directory buffer is killed, the update

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.8)
 of 2017-03-02 built on bapiya
Repository revision: 6e788ef0e262fafc014c21f4ad52cc5dc9f1715b
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11901000
System Description:	Fedora release 25 (Twenty Five)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install/ --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: VC dir

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark set [2 times]
Sending...
Mark set [2 times]
Sending via mail...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window. [2 times]
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done
a is undefined
Scanning for dabbrevs...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/play/bubbles
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-inspect hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-client hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.2/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow emacsbug network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mailalias
smtpmail sort mailcap bbdb-message sendmail mail-extr vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs whitespace log-edit message idna dired
rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds shell rx dabbrev
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func copyright debug
add-log vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode misearch multi-isearch jka-compr
flyspell ispell diminish edmacro kmacro projectile grep compile ibuf-ext
ibuffer dash appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs which-func imenu minimap autorevert filenotify cus-start
cus-load status erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-netsplit
erc-hl-nicks color erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies
erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec auth-source eieio gnus-util
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache thingatpt pp warnings advice
vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs bbdb bbdb-site timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server
savehist finder-inf dwarf-mode-autoloads gdb-shell-autoloads eieio-core
lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look cl-seq cl-macs cl
weblogger-autoloads info package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
bbdb-loaddefs time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 349646 37130)
 (symbols 48 38486 0)
 (miscs 40 928 1341)
 (strings 32 81666 10590)
 (string-bytes 1 2782947)
 (vectors 16 40092)
 (vector-slots 8 1457709 144853)
 (floats 8 533 448)
 (intervals 56 14838 166)
 (buffers 976 42))