Subject: bug#25963: closed (Re: bug#25963: 25.2; tramp su fails)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 08:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25963: 25.2; tramp su fails

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25963: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25963
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25963: 25.2; tramp su fails
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Tyler Smith <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 09:16:57 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tyler Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you Michael!

Hi Tyler,

> Following your suggestion, I discovered that one of those escape
> sequences is a special 'arrow' symbol used in the custom powerline
> prompt. Adding that symbol to the appropriate place in
> tramp-shell-prompt-pattern fixes the problem.

Thanks for confirmation! So there's no problem with Tramp. I'm closing
the bug.

> Best, 
> Tyler

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.2; tramp su fails
From: Tyler Smith <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 21:02:29 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I'm having a problem opening files as root. 

>From emacs -Q, I issue
`(require 'tramp)`, customize tramp-verbose to 10, and try to open a
file as root: `C-x C-f /su::/etc/fstab`. I'm then prompted for my root
password. Entering the password, Emacs pauses for ca. 10 seconds, then
appears to open a new file called fstab, but it's not the fstab that
already exists in /etc/fstab. The message about calling make-directory
to create the parent directories shows up, so I've apparently opened a
new file somewhere. I can't see where, exactly, as `C-x C-f`, or even
`M-x shell-commmand pwd` both prompt me for the root password, and then
fail. 

Despite having turned `tramp-verbose` to the maximum value, there's not
much in my *Messages* buffer after all this:

Creating customization setup...done  
Tramp: Opening connection for root@<myhostname> using su...  
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec su - root’  
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...  
Tramp: Sending Password  
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed  
Tramp: Opening connection for root@<myhostname> using su...failed  
Use M-x make-directory RET RET to create the directory and its parents  

Tramp: Checking ‘vc-registered’ for /su:root@<myhostname>: 
/etc/fstab...failed  
Use M-x make-directory RET RET to create the directory and its parents  
Tramp: Opening connection for root@<myhostname> using su...  
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec su - root’  
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...  
Tramp: Sending Password  
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed  
Tramp: Opening connection for root@<myhostname> using su...failed  
Quit  

This is all on a laptop, I'm not trying to connect to another machine. 

Emacs 25.1.91.1, and confirmed again with Emacs 25.2.1.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.8)
 of 2017-03-03 built on onottra672626p
Repository revision: 6e788ef0e262fafc014c21f4ad52cc5dc9f1715b
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.11901000
System Description:     Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 (stretch)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]
user-error: End of history; no default available

Load-path shadows:
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/net/rfc2104 hides
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/gnus/rfc2104
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/play/landmark hides
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/obsolete/landmark
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/emacs-lisp/gulp hides
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/obsolete/gulp
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/net/eudcb-ph hides
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/obsolete/eudcb-ph
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/vc/vc-arch hides
/home/tws/research/programs/emacs-github/lisp/obsolete/vc-arch

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87181 6288)
 (symbols 48 19950 0)
 (miscs 40 53 171)
 (strings 32 14702 4549)
 (string-bytes 1 420962)
 (vectors 16 11979)
 (vector-slots 8 434895 4455)
 (floats 8 165 25)
 (intervals 56 213 4)
 (buffers 976 21))

Best,

Tyler