Subject: bug#25963: 25.2; tramp su fails

From: Tyler Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 19:12:15 -0500

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 09:06 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> 
> > 08:34:19.246330 tramp-send-command (6) # exec su - root
> > 08:34:34.147941 tramp-process-actions (6) # 
> > Password: 
> > [30;41m~ [0;31m [m
> 
> Looks, like beside the su password, there are some further escape
> sequences (color?) in the shell output, which disturb Tramp. Pls
> suppress them; the Tramp manual shall tell you how.

Thank you Michael!

Following your suggestion, I discovered that one of those escape
sequences is a special 'arrow' symbol used in the custom powerline
prompt. Adding that symbol to the appropriate place in
tramp-shell-prompt-pattern fixes the problem.

Best, 

Tyler