Subject: bug#25962: Emacs IDE

From: Filipp Gunbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 17:32:48 +0300

For Java, the short answer is "no".

You can try CEDET, various modes for Java (malabar, old jde, etc.), but
AFAIK they'll not just "replace" IntelliJ as you'd expect it.  And there
is a justification for that - IntelliJ requires a lot of resources, it
eats RAM, indexes everything and is generally slow.  The good news is
that in Emacs you can use clever text editing facilities, record a macro
/ write a function for whatever you want (like generating
getters/setters).

Debugger is available as `jdb' in emacs unified debugger - `gud'.
Command-line compilation and stepping through errors is, of course,
available as usual with `M-x compile'.

Perhaps other people will tell more about tight integration.

Filipp

On 03/03/2017 19:39 -0500, Ahmed Sorour wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently been working more extensively with various coding languages, and have developed a need to use IDEs.
>
> Is it possible to configure Emacs to act as a complete replacement for:
>
> - Atom or Sublime (for Python)
> - IntelliJ IDEA (for Java)
>
> Aside from project management, I'm also interested in a setup where I can call Emacs to launch with one configuration when working with
> Java, and another configuration when working with Python, etc.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Ahmed Sorour
> P: +1 (617) 710-6251 (mobile)
> E: [email-masked]