Subject: Re: bug#25943: 21.5 Frame Display Difficulties

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 09:55:11 +0200

> I think that I have done what you ask, with both 25.1 and 23.2.  However,
 > none of the listed functions exists on 23.2

Indeed.

 > 08-19-37: the result of invoking 25.1 with -Q over the network with ssh
 >
 > 08-23-08: after loading .emacs
 >
 > 08-24-07: after enlarging the frame by clicking on the top right +
 >
 > 08-47-05: a new invocation, no -Q
 >
 > 09-05-33: the result of invoking 23.2 with -Q over the network with ssh
 >
 > 09-06-42: after loading .emacs (the same file as above, not even a copy)
 >
 > 09-07-41: after enlarging the frame by clicking on the top right +
 >
 > 09-10-06: a new invocation, no -Q

I'm not 100% sure whether these results are for the right display/frame.
Also I see that you don't have any image support so your tool bars are
empty and useless for comparing.  Please repeat as follows:

(setq frame (make-frame '((tool-bar-lines . 0))))

(list
   (display-monitor-attributes-list frame)
   (frame-geometry frame)
   (frame-edges frame 'outer-edges)
   (frame-edges frame 'native-edges)
   (frame-edges frame 'internal-edges))

Then please run the function

(window--dump-frame frame)

and obtain the dump from the buffer *window-frame-dump*.

I'm only interested in emacs -Q runs for Emacs 25.2 so please do not
load your .emacs and always stay in Lisp interaction mode.  I need two
runs of the above - a first one right after your created the frame and a
second one after you maximized it.  Also please yank the results into
the mail body, it's hard for me to decipher them from the png images.

What I did note from your images is that your 23.2 build (I suppose it's
the one you always referred to in our past discussions) is not a GTK
build but one without toolkit support.  So it seems that we've been
always comparing apples and oranges and I'm quite confident that if your
23.2 build had been a GTK one you would've experienced exactly the same
problems then as you do now with the 25.2 build.

However, the fact that maximizing is not propagated correctly to the
frame's windows for the 25.2 version must be investigated.  Maybe the
frame dump will help.  How do you maximize?  Does any of the following
produce better frames?

(set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen 'maximized)
(set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
(set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
(set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen 'fullwidth)

Thanks for your efforts, martin