Subject: Re: bug#25943: 21.5 Frame Display Difficulties

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2017 10:02:40 -0600

Hello Martin.

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 09:36:50 +0200, martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
wrote:
>> I am hoping that these screenshots will throw some light on problem 3.
>  > The key question now appears to address why the main emacs frame is
not
>  > filled properly, my popups can be eliminated as the cause of the
>  > problem.
> 
> The only thing that comes to my mind without investigating this more
> deeply is that you do some sort of scaling on that display.  Have you
> anywhere set GDK_SCALE (or GDK_DPI_SCALE) to something greater 1?  GTK
> Emacsen can't digest that yet and it will take some time to teach them
> the right way.

I have not set either of these; I do not know what or where they are.

> 
> Otherwise, as a first step please do any experiments with emacs -Q only
> (we'll deal with your init file later) so we can see see how menu and
> toll bars relate to the problem.  Then tell me the return value of the
> following forms evaluated for the maximized (cream colored) frame.
> 
> (display-monitor-attributes-list)
> (frame-geometry)
> (frame-edges nil 'outer-edges)
> (frame-edges nil 'native-edges)
> (frame-edges nil 'internal-edges)
> 
> Thanks, martin

I think that I have done what you ask, with both 25.1 and 23.2.  However,
none of the listed functions exists on 23.2

08-19-37: the result of invoking 25.1 with -Q over the network with ssh

08-23-08: after loading .emacs

08-24-07: after enlarging the frame by clicking on the top right +

08-47-05: a new invocation, no -Q

09-05-33: the result of invoking 23.2 with -Q over the network with ssh

09-06-42: after loading .emacs (the same file as above, not even a copy)

09-07-41: after enlarging the frame by clicking on the top right +

09-10-06: a new invocation, no -Q

I think that it is important not to concentrate on this over-the-network
aspect, except for what it shows about the emacs 25.1 frame display somehow
becoming disconnected from its window-manager window, in contrast to 23.2,
and the further conclusion that it seems impossible that my popups are the
cause of the problem since they are not involved.  However, this
frame/window disconnect does seem to be a significant clue about the cause
of problem 3 on a single machine where my popups are involved.

David