Subject: Re: bug#2588: 23.0.90; Man buffer improperly formatted - wrong width

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 03:34:51 +0300

>>> Did anything more happen here afterwards?  Is this still buggy?
>>
>> Is this the same as bug#9084?
>
> And it is, I think.  Is there a particular reason why we don't just use
> `frame-width' in these circumstances?

On 07 Mar 2009 in http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2588#60
Stefan said:

  We could try to fix this: I think it would actually be desirable to pop
  up the frame immediately and then asynchronously fill it as man's output
  comes in.

On 11 Jan 2010 I posted a patch that implements asynchronous formatting
in the immediately displayed Man buffer in
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5054#76
(see subthread with the subject "Man truncated", please don't merge bug#5054
because its initial report was about a different problem).

Is it time to install this patch now?

It fixes the problem with wrong widths in a new window/frame.

Though it doesn't implement formatting on the fly from the process-filter,
but maybe this could be implemented later in 24.2?