Subject: Re: bug#25877: 26.0.50;M-x list-packages Invalid version list error

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:39:11 -0500

Carlo Tambuatco wrote:

>>> ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/package hides
>>> /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/package
>> 
>> It seems that you aren't using the package.el that comes with Emacs.
>
> Not only that, it appears I've been using a pre-release version of
> emacs all this time…I'm going to revert back to emacs 25.1 for the
> time being, I think that should solve the problem...

That's up to you. I think the actual problem you reported is due to the
old version of package.el(c) in your site-lisp, so all you have to do to
make it go away is delete it. Specifically, it's older than

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2013-11/msg00020.html

and so can't handle things like "Version: 8.6+git" as contained in
lisp/mh-e/mh-e.el in current Emacs master. If you don't delete it,
you'll get the same problem with 25.1 and any packages with similar
version numbers.