Subject: Re: bug#25875: 26.0.50; Hang logging out of MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:36:02 +0200

> From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 07:21:04 +0000
> Cc: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> > How representative would the above sample be, relative to the
> > frequency of the problem you see when shutting down Windows?  If you
> > see such problems almost every shutdown, then yes, we'd be learning a
> > lot.
> 
> In the nine months since Ken's change, I've noticed a problem with
> Emacs twice.

Then I guess it would be better to just push those changes and see if
they do any harm.

> Ken, Eli, are you going to be running Emacs with that patch installed?

I never use the master branch for serious work, so it doesn't matter
what I do.  In addition, I almost never shut down my systems.

> I can't get my head around the idea. If we don't care whether or not
> the action in question has finished when SendMessage returns,
> then why are we using SendMessage? And if we do care, then
> shouldn't I expect weird bugs caused by timing out when the system's
> under load?

If a window procedure doesn't process messages for more than 5 sec,
Windows will put "Not Responding" on its caption bar.  So I think the
100 msec number in Ken's patch should be changed to something like
6000, and then we are fine, because even on a busy system this should
be long enough.  And if Emacs (and the OS) is about to shut down, it's
even less of a problem to ignore a message that timed out, IMO.