Subject: bug#25864: closed (Re: bug#25864: 25.1; Incorrect rendering for Bengali compound character)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 19:50:03 +0000

Your bug report

#25864: 25.1; Incorrect rendering for Bengali compound character

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25864: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25864
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25864: 25.1; Incorrect rendering for Bengali compound character
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Mandar Mitra <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 21:48:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 00:51:40 +0530
> From: Mandar Mitra <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > I attach a version which contains the above change.  Please put that
> > file under ~/.m17n.d and start Emacs again.
> > 
> > Does it work?  Doesn't it have a bad side effect for the rendering of
> > other Bengali pattern?
> 
> Thank you so much for your super-quick solution! Yes, it works, and "tra" is rendered as it should be. The little bit of testing did not reveal any bad side effects. In particular, I tried many consonant + ra patterns and they are all correctly rendered. If I find any other problems after using this for some more time, I will report.

Thanks to both of you, I think we can therefore close this bug report.

Subject: 25.1; Incorrect rendering for Bengali compound character
From: Mandar Mitra <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 03:45:46 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The following Bengali compound character is not rendered correctly. To reproduce, start emacs -Q, and type / paste from a character map the following text:

ত্র (0x09A4, 0x09CD, Ox09B0) should be rendered as something that looks similar to এ. 

This sequence is rendered correctly in LibreOffice, gedit, and similar.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-12-21 built on lgw01-21
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:	Linux Mint 18.1 Serena

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --with-xwidgets=yes 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: 
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set [2 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer
Mark set [2 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [5 times]
Mark set
command-execute: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89025 8949)
 (symbols 48 19788 0)
 (miscs 40 90 146)
 (strings 32 14386 3625)
 (string-bytes 1 411504)
 (vectors 16 11826)
 (vector-slots 8 432064 4731)
 (floats 8 164 251)
 (intervals 56 265 0)
 (buffers 976 19)
 (heap 1024 38496 985))