Subject: bug#25852: Users not updating their installations of Guix

From: Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 10:24:19 +0100

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 03:45:47AM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:25:42AM +0100, Tomáš Čech wrote:
>> Unless I'm missing some other commit, this won't work.
>>
>> When I perform these steps:
>> 1] ./configure && make && sudo make install (or package installation)
>> 2] mkdir /gnu/store
>> 3] attempt to start daemon will fail as there is no guix-daemon in
>>   @localstatedir@/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
>>   because there is no guix-daemon in /gnu/store
>
>I haven't used `make install`. Does this change break it? On my system,
>the old @bindir@ method didn't yield a usable guix-daemon.service
>either, because there is no '/usr/local/bin/guix-daemon'.
>
>The binary tarball that we distribute includes the guix-daemon in its
>store, and the '/var/guix/...' path works too.
>
>There were lots of people trying to follow the Binary Installation
>instructions in the manual [0] and getting stuck on step 5. They weren't
>able to symlink the systemd service file, and they had to edit the file
>too.
>
>With this change, the instructions in the manual should work whether or
>not the user copies or symlinks the service file.
>
>[0]
>https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

Thank you for your explanation and your patience. I finally understand
now what you mean with binary installation and understand how it
doesn't break it.

I'll try to fix source installation somehow.

Best regards,

Tomas