Subject: bug#25852: Users not updating their installations of Guix

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 03:45:47 -0500

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 07:25:42AM +0100, Tomáš Čech wrote:
> Unless I'm missing some other commit, this won't work.
> 
> When I perform these steps:
> 1] ./configure && make && sudo make install (or package installation)
> 2] mkdir /gnu/store
> 3] attempt to start daemon will fail as there is no guix-daemon in
>   @localstatedir@/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
>   because there is no guix-daemon in /gnu/store

I haven't used `make install`. Does this change break it? On my system,
the old @bindir@ method didn't yield a usable guix-daemon.service
either, because there is no '/usr/local/bin/guix-daemon'.

The binary tarball that we distribute includes the guix-daemon in its
store, and the '/var/guix/...' path works too.

There were lots of people trying to follow the Binary Installation
instructions in the manual [0] and getting stuck on step 5. They weren't
able to symlink the systemd service file, and they had to edit the file
too.

With this change, the instructions in the manual should work whether or
not the user copies or symlinks the service file.

[0]
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Binary-Installation.html