Subject: bug#25852: Users not updating their installations of Guix

From: Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 07:25:42 +0100

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 05:22:15PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:58:48PM +0100, Tomáš Čech wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 02:51:18PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> > This will take effect for the next release of Guix; it addresses a
>> > problem that arises when somebody installs the binary release of Guix.
>> >
>> > I'm not addressing downstream packages of Guix with this commit.
>>
>> I'm sorry, I may not understand correctly your answer.
>>
>> Are you saying that situation when user freshly installs Guix on
>> system with systemd (and thus has empty /gnu/store)?
>
>The "fix" I pushed will help anyone who does a new installation of Guix
>on a Systemd or Upstart-based system, after the next release of Guix.

Unless I'm missing some other commit, this won't work.

When I perform these steps:
1] ./configure && make && sudo make install (or package installation)
2] mkdir /gnu/store
3] attempt to start daemon will fail as there is no guix-daemon in
   @localstatedir@/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon
   because there is no guix-daemon in /gnu/store

Without daemon running you won't be able to make one in that location.

Dead end.

Best regards,

S_W