Subject: Re: bug#25852: Users not updating their installations of Guix

From: Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 10:43:27 +0100

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 09:25:11AM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:56:41AM +0100, Tomáš Čech wrote:
>> And IMHO the best and also "Guix way" could be making guix-daemon aware of
>> possible newer versions in /gnu/store and execing them instead...
>
>Giving a loud warning should really be sufficient. The Guix way is to
>have a system not surprise us by shifting the sand under our feet ;)

Yes, but the surprise is made when your expectations are different
from what is naturally expected.

My expectation is that when `guix pull' is run, it should update whole
guix, not just part (guix - guix-daemon).

Surprise is when it does not do it.

Removing the surprise can be either by splitting the package to make
obvious it is independent part or making `guix pull' able to update
guix-daemon as well.

Loud warning is really sufficient for user (or admin) but not for
distribution package maintainer.

Another option is that I will do the split by myself and take
guix-daemon sources from GIT but I'm sure I'll make much worse job
than you.

Best regards,

S_W