Subject: bug#25852: Users not updating their installations of Guix

From: Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 21:29:41 +0100

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 04:11:56PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
>In my opinion, the recent bug #25775 (Can't install packages after guix
>pull) [0] exposed a sort of meta-bug: there are a significant number of
>users who were still using the guix-daemon from 0.10.0.
>
>It seems unlikely that they have been updating all of root's
>packages except for the guix package. Rather, I bet they never updated
>root's packages at all, for ~1 year.
>
>I think this is a serious documentation bug.

One problem may be that Guix on top of foreign distribution is not
able to update itself.

I still offer guix-0.12 RPM package for openSUSE installation as there
was no new release. Guix is able to update itself via `guix pull' but
it doesn't affect system installation of guix-daemon.

It would help splitting releases of Guix and guix-daemon.

Best regards,

S_W