Subject: bug#25851: 25.2; GTK warning when starting Emacs when desktop file has more than one frame

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 13:26:43 -0500

At 18:18 +0200 on Monday 2017-02-27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 19:31:03 -0500
>> 
>> [1] https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Message-Logging.html
>> 
>> It says (amongst other things):
>> 
>> - "To use structured logging (rather than the old-style logging),
>>   either use the g_log_structured() and g_log_structured_array()
>>   functions; or define G_LOG_USE_STRUCTURED before including any
>>   GLib header..."
>> 
>> - "[g_log_set_handler()] has no effect if structured logging is
>>   enabled"
>
> Unless Martin will be able to resolve the issue "properly", I guess
> the only way of shutting up the warning is to use
> g_log_set_writer_func to temporarily set the glib log writer function
> to a dummy one that does nothing, then restore the original writer
> function.  That's gross, but what else can be done when you deal with
> libraries which think they are smarter than you are?..
>
> Thanks.

[I'm sure your question is rhetorical, but if it weren't, at one time I
would have said the what could be done is to leave the world of
paternalistic proprietary software and use Free software instead! Sadly,
the paternalistic-proprietary-software thinking has infected Free
software and we increasingly see libraries and tools that do what they
think the user should want them to do, rather than flexibly doing what the
user asks them to do.]

But that does raise the possibly naive question:

Rather that trying to cover up the warning, can we not just do what the
library wants; is it impossible for us to call "gtk_widget_show_all() on
the contents and gtk_window_set_geometry_hints() on the window" before
calling gtk_window_parse_geometry()?

N.