Subject: Re: bug#25851: 25.2; GTK warning when starting Emacs when desktop file has more than one frame

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:24:55 +0200

> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 08:59:10 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> 
>  > When starting Emacs from a terminal/console window, GTK emits the
>  > following message in the terminal/console:
>  >
>  >    Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_parse_geometry() called on a window
>  >    with no visible children; the window should be set up before
>  >    gtk_window_parse_geometry() is called.
>  >
>  > The message is emitted n - 1 times, where n is the number of
>  > frames specified in the desktop file; with no desktop file, or
>  > with a desktop file specifying just the one frame, no such message
>  > is emitted.
> 
> Thinking about this twice - frameset should _not_ try to restore frame
> positions by default.

ISTR that there was a long discussion about this when Juanma
implemented these features, so the current behavior is not just a
random choice on his part.

FWIW, I'm rather fond of the current behavior, since whenever I need
to restart Emacs, it recreates the precise frame arrangement I had
when I shut it down.