Subject: bug#25851: 25.2; GTK warning when starting Emacs when desktop file has more than one frame

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 10:34:04 -0400

At 06:47 -0700 on Thursday 2017-03-23, Drew Adams wrote:
>
> As one user of multiple frames (and multiple desktops) I would
> (naively perhaps) expect a desktop state to restore frames as
> they were when they were saved, modulo anything that might be
> strictly impossible or unfeasible to do.

I agree with Drew here. a user would reasonably expect that part
of the job of the desktop feature is restoring frames to their
former positions.

> If frame positions are not restored in general (again, modulo
> any necessary exceptions that might exist) that would suggest
> that there is little point in saving and restoring frames.

There is also, of course, the re-creation of all the buffers and
the re-assignment of the right buffers to the right windows on the
right frames. This is at least as important IMO.

> Size and position are among the most important attributes of a
> frame, and if a user bothers to use multiple frames then it is
> almost certainly the case that their sizes and positions are
> important.

Well, in my case, my display is small and all frames are
maximized, so the position of the frames is not important. So I
disagree with the "almost certainly", but otherwise I agree
completely.

N.