Subject: bug#25844: 26.0.50; gdb doesn't respect '$INSIDE_EMACS' shell variables

From: Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 07:45:10 +0530

M-x gdb doesn't seem to respect variables set with '$INSIDE_EMACS'

Ie, my bashrc has some variables set as:
if [ '$INSIDE_EMACS' ]
   foo='FOO'
   bar='BAR'
fi

And when I run M-x gdb, it seems not to work.

Instead, if I run emacs this way: foo='FOO' emacs
and run gdb, the variable is respected

The variable I was trying to set was G_DEBUG='fatal-criticals'

Thanks

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.3 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.6)
 of 2017-02-05 built on rose
Repository revision: 148100d98319499f0ac6f57b8be08cbd14884a5c
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11901000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 (stretch)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 LIBSYSTEMD

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97836 9217)
 (symbols 48 20259 1)
 (miscs 40 420 154)
 (strings 32 18154 4104)
 (string-bytes 1 587387)
 (vectors 16 14062)
 (vector-slots 8 469511 5295)
 (floats 8 183 66)
 (intervals 56 216 0)
 (buffers 976 12))