Subject: bug#25834: Update scientific Python packages

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 13:02:52 +0100

Thomas Danckaert <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm submitting a patch series to update numpy, matplotlib, scipy and
> ipython.  I've split out the documentation for numpy and matplotlib
> into separate packages to avoid issues with the following cyclic
> dependencies:
>
>   - numpy documentation depends on matplotlib, which depends on numpy.
>
>   - documentation for the new version of matplotlib also depends on
>     ipython, which depends on matplotlib and numpy.
>
> If the preference is to work with multiple outputs instead, I can
> work out something with “bootstrap” packages and
> package-input-rewriting, but I like the simplicity of separate
> documentation packages (which also avoids repeatedly building the
> same package for bootstrapping purposes).

Thanks for taking this on!

My preference is to have separate documentation packages when this
allows us to avoid a host of intermediate bootstrapping packages.  This
was acceptable for numpy and matplotlib in the past, but now that the
cycle has grown even larger, I’d prefer to cut the dependency by turning
them into separate packages.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net