Subject: split (v 8.25) with numeric suffixes beyond 89

From: Holger Wolff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:55:15 +1100

Hello

Incorrect numeric suffixes are sometimes produced when going beyond 
number 89:

Assume a file "test.txt" with 1000 lines, and the command

$ split -d -l 10 test.txt test_

I expect files test_00 through test_99, but what I get are test_00 
through test_89 and test_9000 through test_9009.

The same happens when I use

$ split --numeric-suffixes -l 10 test.txt test_

but not when I use this line:

$ split --numeric-suffixes=0 -l 10 test.txt test_

I have not found this bug mentioned before, but if I missed this, I am 
sorry.

$ split --version
split (GNU coreutils) 8.25
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later 
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Torbjörn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman.

Thank you

Holger