Subject: Re: bug#2583: DEL stops at field boundaries; M-DEL doesn't

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:38:45 +0900

Iain Dalton <[email-masked]> writes:
> When in a mode with a prompt (eshell, rcirc, SLIME for me), M-DEL will
> delete up to beginning-of-line, passing over the prompt even though it
> can't delete it.  Wiser people than I have said this has to do with
> the field property.

Can you provide a more precise recipe?

In the case of rcirc, or the minibuffer prompt, M-DEL seems to respect
field boundaries properly, and will only move past the prompt if that's
the only thing preceding the cursor.  Whether it should refuse to do
that is another question; in general, the behavior of text deletion
commands to react to read-only text by doing move+copy+beep is
considered a feature.

Eshell doesn't use field properties as far as I know, and has it's own
ersatz prompt-handling strategies.

I don't know about slime.

-Miles

-- 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.