Subject: bug#25825: 25.1; ispell-find-hunspell-dictionaries not working on Windows

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 13:10:13 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But for some reason, hunspell is very sensitive and will not give any
>> loaded dictionary if $LANG is unset.  (IMO, very unhelpful behaviour.)
>
> Maybe this is worth a bug report against Hunspell.

I filed a bug report against hunspell here:

    https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/issues/687

> But is this really relevant to how Hunspell is invoked from Emacs?  It
> certainly isn't on Windows, because we inject LANG into the
> environment there.  But what about Posix hosts?

AFAIU, we just inherit the environment such that if $LANG is unset in
the parent process,

    (getenv "LANG") => nil

> That cannot fly: we cannot second-guess the user's locale, and we
> shouldn't force some arbitrary locale on them.  It's basically a
> mis-configured system, so signaling an error is good enough, IMO.

Point taken.