Subject: bug#25820: 25.1; report-emacs-bug can't send mail due to missing 'w3'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:23:07 -0800

I tried to report a bug using "report-emacs-bug". Emacs asked for a
method for delivering mail and I typed "mail" which it completed to
"mail client". But when I tried to send the bug, it complained that "w3"
was missing:

browse-url-w3: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, w3

I have a working "mail" command which I had understood to be somewhat
standard on Unix, so I had wanted to send the report via this method.
Thank you.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.5)
 of 2016-12-23 built on juergen
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: 
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: on
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking 24 files in /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/calc...
Checking 120 files in /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
Saving file /home/frederik/*message*-20170220-121506...
Wrote /home/frederik/*message*-20170220-121506 [2 times]
M-[ 2 9 $ is undefined
Mark set
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mailalias mailclient pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna
dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils ispell skeleton pulse misearch multi-isearch imenu
conf-mode cus-edit cus-start cus-load term/xterm xterm ggtags etags xref
project ewoc cc-mode derived cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-langs cc-bytecomp jka-compr rx edmacro
kmacro autorevert filenotify ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme
thingatpt+ thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d
ess-dde ess-sp3-d ess-julia julia-mode ess-r-d ess-r-syntax
ess-r-completion ess-roxy essddr noutline outline hideshow ess-help
ess-r-package ess-s-l ess ess-inf ess-tracebug tramp tramp-compat
auth-source cl-seq gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete format-spec advice
ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils time-date ess-generics ess-custom
executable ess-compat ess-site savehist iflipb bind-key compile
easy-mmode comint ansi-color ring cl help-fns+ wid-edit help-fns server
finder-inf eieio eieio-core cl-macs info package epg-config seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 365060 42805)
 (symbols 48 33949 9)
 (miscs 40 292 1371)
 (strings 32 61874 13828)
 (string-bytes 1 1799571)
 (vectors 16 54491)
 (vector-slots 8 1579761 180443)
 (floats 8 371 830)
 (intervals 56 5035 902)
 (buffers 976 46))