Subject: bug#25819: 25.1; Added by Package.el. Added by Package.el. Added by Package.el. Added by Package.el.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:39:48 -0800

> > You don't think my problem is common!? :) Well I'm not sure how other
> > people edit files as root, but after a few incarnations I decided that
> > a barebones /root/.emacs pointing to ~/.emacs is the best way to go.
> 
> I meant the odd use of changing HOME to load someone else's .emacs.
> As it turns out, that isn't related.
> 
> (Did you consider symlinking ~frederik.emacs to /root/.emacs, and adding
> UID == 0 conditionals where needed?)

Yes I think this was one thing I tried. I can't remember what went
wrong there, but one thing is I have a bunch of lines like this in my
~/.emacs:

    (load "~/.emacs.d/fhe-bury-buffer.el")

So I think $HOME has to be changed to ~/, while ~/.emacs is being
read, as you can see in my earlier message. But it turns out that this
was pretty much enough.

Tramp looks cool; I wish I'd known about it before, but now I use
sshfs and sudo and this obviates most of the uses for me.

I don't use the Emacs GUI - strictly terminal here - and I often open
files from the command line, via emacsclient, rather than C-x C-f.
Particularly for stuff like configuration files that I end up editing
as root.

.zprofile: export EDITOR="emacsclient -c -nw"
.zshrc: alias em=$EDITOR

I don't know what you'd call my usage pattern but it's perhaps more
like a vim user, using the editor from the shell and keeping it
lightweight.