Subject: Re: bug#25818: 25.2; frame moved off display does not return (OS X)

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:48:24 +0100

Hi!

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:

> But if one of the questions is whether an Emacs user
> (or code) should _be able_ to position a frame off
> screen then I emphatically say yes, s?he should.
>
> I have code that lets you incrementally move a frame
> up/down/left/right, including wraparound or including
> the possibility of not wrapping but continuing till
> the frame is entirely off screen.
>
> I don't see anything wrong with _allowing_ someone
> to position a frame off screen.  Why they might want
> to do that is up to them.
>

I can see the point of your argument. After all, this is how Emacs work
today, and most people have been fine with it.

However, I don't feel 100% comfortable with the current situation.

The main issue is people with laptops connected to an extern monitor. When
the external monitor is disconnected, Emacs might land off screen. I would
imagine that most people would prefer that Emacs would be moved and resized
to fit in the screen of the laptop (as I imagine, most macOS application
behave).

Secondly, I miss an easy accessible method to move off-screen frames into
the visible parts of the display. On macOS, the menu is always accessible
even if the window isn't, so the obvious place would be a menu item like
"Collect Frame" (I noticed that "C-x 5 c" is unbound) -- it could be placed
after "Delete Frame" in the "File" menu.

If that question is not in fact being raised in this
> bug discussion, then please ignore this intrusion,
> and sorry for the noise.
>

No need to apologize, your input is always welcome!

    -- Anders