Subject: bug#25817: Why were Gnu coding standards violated in favor of posix for 'rm -fr .'?: request for reversion of behavior

From: L A Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 10:55:37 -0800

Eric Blake wrote:
>  the discussion here is about an early exit
> on an attempt to remove '.', which, contrary to your claim, appears to
> always have been in POSIX as far as I can tell (and even if it has not
> always been in POSIX, the fact that I can quote a 20-year-old document
> that describes current behavior means that any change to a default now
> would be breaking 20 years of what script writers have come to rely on).
---
	My initial post under this subject said that it was a matter
of not following gnu policy -- of not removing a feature just because
posix said to do so.

	I was cited posix as the justification for this change.  
Apparently that was incorrect, as you point out.  My point was
that the behavior/feature was allowed in coreutils and removed with
a justification that posix disallowed it.

	I doubt I can find a commit, but I may be able to find
a version of coreutils where this is the case, but likely, not
quickly.