Subject: bug#25807: 24.5; List-Directory closes with error when invalid path is typed instead of prompting the user to fix it

From: Colin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 17:20:10 +1100

If I hit `C-x C-d`, I receive the prompt `List directory (breif): ~/` - if I
type `/tmp/foo` and hit Enter my message buffer shows `insert-directory:
Reading directory: no such file or directory, /tmp/foo` - the prompt has
now gone and I'm unable to fix my mistake without repeating the entire
process.

Originally posted on reddit, other users appear to think this is a bug.
Was requested by redit Eli-Zaretskii to report this as a bug.
Thread at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/5uxf0x/pet_hate_dired_autocomplete/
--------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.9)
 of 2016-12-13 on hostname='clin'
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description: NAME=Gentoo

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-24.5-r3
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-24.5-r3/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-24 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24
 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus --with-gpm
 --without-hesiod --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --without-xml2
 --without-selinux --with-gnutls --without-wide-int --with-zlib
 --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif
 --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
 --with-imagemagick --with-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.5-r3
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
[yas] Reloaded everything (snippets will load just-in-time)....
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils py-autopep8 flycheck find-func rx subr-x seq
seq-24 dash cl-extra yasnippet help-mode highlight-indentation flymake
eldoc company edmacro kmacro pcase elpy advice help-fns pyvenv
elpy-refactor python json ido grep compile comint ansi-color files-x
etags ring cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs
cl-lib spacemacs-dark-theme spacemacs-common package epg-config
site-gentoo time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 216581 46561)
 (symbols 48 28891 1)
 (miscs 40 61 150)
 (strings 32 48000 30244)
 (string-bytes 1 1368199)
 (vectors 16 21744)
 (vector-slots 8 503564 4880)
 (floats 8 145 328)
 (intervals 56 265 131)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 52296 909))