Subject: bug#25787: [PATCH 6/6]

From: Thomas Danckaert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 18:07:40 +0100 (CET)

From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: bug#25787: [PATCH 6/6]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:23:52 +0000

> Ah I see what's happening! I had gst-plugin-{good,bad,ugly} 
> installed in
> my profile, it crashes for me too if I remove them. However, we 
> should
> have gotten a pop-up complaining about missing plugins not a crash! 
> It
> turns out wrapping the clementine binary setting 
> GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH
> fixes the issue, as done an a few other packages.

Indeed, for the first test, I think I only had installed “ugly” and 
“good”, but not “base”.  I then installed “base” plugins, too, and it 
worked.  I now see that our “gst-plugins-base” package propagates the 
“gstreamer” package, which in turn sets GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH.  And 
indeed, the rhythmbox executable is wrapped, which explains why that 
works.

I wonder if gst-plugins-good and gst-plugins-ugly should propagate 
gst-plugins-base (like gst-plugins-bad already does)? Or maybe 
gst-plugins-bad should not propagate gst-plugins-base?

Of course the fact that Clementine crashes when 
GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH isn't set correctly is a bug, IMO.

> We could also add the plugins as propagated inputs, but I'd say it's
> better to let people install only the plugins they need. What do you
> think?

Yes, I think it's better to let users choose. Especially with the 
patent issues that may or may not affect the “ugly” plugins.

> Or maybe we can have the QT5 version of clementine, I haven't tried
> to build it yet.

That would be ideal, I had a look at the comments at their 
repository, and it seemed like the Qt5 port was still experimental, 
but I haven't actually tried it.

I'll test your next patches.

Thomas