Subject: Re: bug#25777: 25.1; [PATCH] `rectangle--pos-cols' should not move point

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 23:57:50 -0500

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think it's great that a function such as `rectangle--pos-cols'
> was added.  (But it has no business being considered "internal".)
>
> Do you really think that a function whose only purpose is
> to let you know what the rectangle columns are should move
> point and leave it in a position that is not one of the
> rectangle corners?

After looking over this thread again, I conclude we got totally
side-tracked on the question of whether this is a regression or not.
That's just a distraction.

I think it's reasonable to make rectangle--pos-cols preserve point.
Could you update your patch to

1. Use a single save-excursion around the whole body, instead of adding
several.

2. Rename rectangle--pos-cols to rectangle-pos-cols.

3. Add a docstring to rectangle-pos-cols.