Subject: Re: bug#25775: Attempts to fix bootstrap Guile bug

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 13:03:27 -0500

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 09:52:09AM +0100, Andy Wingo wrote:
> I think in the meantime it would be acceptable to insert an
> 
>   (unless guile
>     (error "update your guix daemon from git and restart it (#25775)"))
> 
> to url-fetch/reset-patch-level, or something like that.  WDYT?

I think it would be better if users didn't have to set up a Guix
development environment to work around this bug.

My hunch is that the people who never updated root's packages and thus
experienced the bug are the people who are least comfortable with such a
solution.

What about Ricardo's "really gross fix"? [0] I don't understand it enough to
know why it's gross. If it works and does not break other things, at
least it could protect people who have not yet hit the bug, but will hit
it the next time they run `guix pull`.
 
[0]
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25775#35