Subject: Re: bug#25764: 26.0.50; Make some usability improvements to sieve-script management

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 01:50:38 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> I do use sieve! But I didn't write this code.

I know, just thought I may as well fix these trivial instances upon
seeing your patch.

>>> Your proposed chances seem fine to me, though I'm wondering about
>>> the use of `ngettext' -- I saw some arguments on these lists
>>> recently about international/localization, and wasn't paying too
>>> much attention, but didn't see a clear resolution.  Is it the
>>> consensus that we're supposed to be using `ngettext' where possible?
>>
>> Oh, I didn't notice that part.  No, I don't think there's any such
>> consensus...
>
> There are 23 uses of `ngettext' in the sources right now, which says to
> me: "there's no consensus, but it's also not a problem".

That's more or less my understanding as well:

[45c525a685]: Fig grammar of count-lines-page
  2019-06-09 17:00:05 -0700
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=45c525a685041c274a26c70caed4088726a790de

[7bba702e1a]: Use ngettext instead of dired-plural-s in Dired (bug#35287)
  2019-05-05 22:43:27 +0300
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=7bba702e1ad1ed343618e44cf5bbc2a1f079be0c

I wasn't involved in the discussion, but IIRC l10n (i.e. using a no-op
ngettext for now) is welcome and encouraged, it's just that we don't
have an agreed upon or concrete implementation yet.  I think it's
definitely better to mark the text as localisable now, while we're in
the area, than leave the previous string formatting trick for future
archaeologists to rediscover.  So I've now pushed my patch:

[7b70efb740]: Tidy up sieve.el text formatting
  2019-07-09 01:47:52 +0100
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=7b70efb740a04517e2764b0986c6e92305c1dd3e

Thanks for the review and sorry for hijacking this report.

-- 
Basil