Subject: bug#25760: 25.1; Emacs GDB command doesn't honor the "-p" flag

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:23:35 -0500

Hi,

        It appears the the Emacs gdb command doesn't honor just
        using the "-p" flag:

0. emacs -Q &

1. M-x gdb
Run gdb (like this): gdb -p 2660
[...]
(gdb) Undefined command: "1-inferior-tty-set".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "2-gdb-set".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "3-gdb-set".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "4-enable-pretty-printing".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "5-file-list-exec-source-files".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "6-file-list-exec-source-file".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "7-gdb-show".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "8-stack-info-frame".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "9-thread-info".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "10-break-list".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "11-thread-info".  Try "help".
(gdb) Undefined command: "12-break-list".  Try "help".

      After that, no gdb commands appear to work -- not even
      "quit":

(gdb) quit
Undefined command: "-interpreter-exec".  Try "help".
(gdb) `

      You then have to kill the buffer (C-c k)

      You can, of course use gdb by doing instead:

Run gdb (like this): gdb -i=mi -p 2660

    Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.9)
 of 2016-10-13 built on buildvm-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-message-citation-mode: t
  mml-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
Mark set
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer, C-M-v to scroll help.

next-line: End of buffer [4 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(kmacro two-column iso-transl shadow emacsbug gnus-dup mailalias
smtpmail sendmail eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func
rect flow-fill gnus-notifications gnus-fun notifications dbus xml sort
gnus-cite smiley ansi-color shr-color color shr dom subr-x browse-url
mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table gnus-eform
misearch multi-isearch pp cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive
jka-compr timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7
rfc2104 nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache epa-file epa
derived nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars json map seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap cl gv sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo
nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 21328411 1016095)
 (symbols 48 371647 48)
 (miscs 40 662 2443)
 (strings 32 1388258 65332)
 (string-bytes 1 90126485)
 (vectors 16 245330)
 (vector-slots 8 4175462 244223)
 (floats 8 601 2849)
 (intervals 56 3023407 10190)
 (buffers 976 211)
 (heap 1024 890946 126647))