Subject: bug#25754: 24.5; gdb goes wrong when using non-English file or directory name

From: "chrt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 23:10:05 +0800

I opened a existing C++ source code with Chinese file name,
then used `M-x gdb`:`gdb -i=mi xxx` and `M-x gdb-many-windows`.
Trying clicking the fringe to set a breakpoint, I didn't get a little red
point as expected, though it appeared successfully in the breakpoints
buffer. However, then I was told that `Use M-x make-directory RET RET
to create the directory and its parents`. Clicking the fringe again, it 
told me
`File /home/_directory_name_/"/home/_directory_name_/_some_strange_numbers_with_backslash_.cpp"
is read-only on disk. Make buffer read-only, too? (y or n)`

After changing the file name into a English one, gdb worked normally. It
also went wrong when picking a Chinese directory name.

Hope that the problem can be solved. Thanks. :)

And sorry for my poor English.

---

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-04, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C++/lah

Minor modes in effect:
  gdb-many-windows: t
  linum-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50python-docutils.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Gdb-Many-Windows mode enabled
Command: break bzoj2821.cpp:13
Command: clear bzoj2821.cpp:13
Command: break bzoj2821.cpp:70
Command: clear bzoj2821.cpp:70
Quit
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/textmodes/rst

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr help-mode emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load gdb-mi bindat
json gud easy-mmode comint ansi-color ring hideshow linum cc-langs
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs paren time-date china-util
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 125768 13727)
 (symbols 48 22556 0)
 (miscs 40 152 196)
 (strings 32 23086 3698)
 (string-bytes 1 712760)
 (vectors 16 14785)
 (vector-slots 8 514285 7373)
 (floats 8 72 492)
 (intervals 56 649 85)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 46031 1054))