Subject: bug#25753: 25.2; Python mode shell interaction not working 100%

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 09:34:10 -0500

[email-masked] (Charles A. Roelli) writes:

> Could you please evaluate these forms with a running instance of
> Python in Emacs?  My output follows each form.  It seems like the Mac
> version of Python echoes the last command sent, and maybe python.el
> does not expect this?

Yes, I was going to ask if you also get this echoing for commands typed
in at the prompt or is it just the support functions?  Possibly setting
`comint-process-echoes' could help, though I don't understand why there
is echoing in the first place.

Here is what I get:

    (python-shell-send-string-no-output "import os\nimport sys") ;=> ""
    (python-shell-send-string-no-output "import os; import sys") ;=> ""
    (python-ffap-module-path "os") ;=> "/usr/lib/python3.6/os.py"

By the way, it was reported[1] that using "homebrew" python avoids these
issues, apparently that build uses GNU readline instead of libedit[2].

[1]: https://github.com/jorgenschaefer/elpy/issues/887#issuecomment-282215656
[2]: https://github.com/jorgenschaefer/elpy/issues/887#issuecomment-282332143