Subject: bug#25752: Acknowledgement (go incremental builds broken)

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 22:01:18 +0200

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 01:46:48PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi Leo,
> 
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 16:31, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I don't think this bug has been fixed, although I have not checked.
> > Currently, Go incremental builds and library re-use is not functional in
> > Guix, unless I missed a new development.
> 
> Thanks.  Could you provide a Go example for reproducing?  Well, a
> reproducer to track what could be wrong on the grafting mechanism for
> Go.  If I understand correctly.
> 

I actually spent a bit of time on this today/yesterday. I modified the
go-build-system to copy the pkg and src folders from build to build
(instead of just the src folders) and the pkg folders were ignored.
Upstream documentation isn't clear about when the pkg folder is used and
when it is ignored.

One thing I did try was to set the pkgdir to (string-append (getenv
"GOROOT") "/pkg"), but then it didn't find the pkg folder from go:out. I
didn't try copying go:out/pkg to GOROOT/pkg to see if that would fix it;
I assumed that even if it did work we wouldn't want to propagate all of
go with the go packages.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted