Subject: grep 3.0 skips "binary" lines in ssconvert output

From: Alexey Shipunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 22:36:36 -0600

Dear Madam or Sir,

That problem almost ruined my work today.

I made the following note to myself but you might be also interested:

===
current grep (2.25) is much faster than 2.5.4 from Lucid but SKIPS
"binary" lines in ssconvert output, freshly compiled grep 3.0 skips
less but still does it. Workaround: look for "binary match" phrase in
the end of file and apply grep -a. Report to
https://www.gnu.org/software/grep/manual/html_node/Reporting-Bugs.html
?

===

The file of question (gzipped) is attached.

My system:

===
$ uname -a
Linux ... 4.4.0-62-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 18 14:10:15 UTC 2017
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
===

Commands which reproduce the problem:

===
grep . usa-format.txt > 1
grep -a . usa-format.txt > 2
diff 1 2
===

Again, the problem exists with both Ubuntu Xenial default grep 2.25
and new grep 3.0

With best wishes,

Alexey Shipunov