Subject: bug#25749: grep 3.0 skips "binary" lines in ssconvert output

From: Alexey Shipunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 01:39:10 -0600

Hi,

Thanks for explanation. However, it does not explain why grep 2.5.4
has no problem with this file.

With best wishes,

Alexey

2017-02-16 1:11 GMT-06:00 Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>:
> When I tried to read that attachment, gedit complained "There was a problem
> opening" it, and then "The file you opened has some invalid characters. If
> you continue editing this file you could corrupt this document. You can also
> choose another character encoding and try again." So it is not only "grep"
> that is having problems with the file.
>
> Looking into it further, the file contains a non-text byte in line 13676, in
> the string "1@8MI W OF RALEIGH", where the "@" denotes a byte with octal
> value 233. This is invalid UTF-8 text. You can work around the issue by
> replacing the non-text byte with a valid character, or by using "grep -a" as
> you noted, or by setting the LC_ALL environment variable to "C", or by using
> a grep pattern that does not match the non-text line.