Subject: Re: bug#25747: 25.1.91; hideshow binding C-c @ C-h overrides help

From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 00:54:34 -0800

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> You can type "C-c @ ?" instead, i.e. use the question-mark '?' instead
> of C-h.

Ah, that's embarrassing.  Rereading the manual I see this
important bit that I have forgotten:

    You can get a list of subcommands for a particular prefix key by
    typing C-h, ?, or F1 (describe-prefix-bindings) after the prefix
    key. (There are a few prefix keys for which not all of these keys
    work—those that provide their own bindings for that key. One of
    these prefix keys is ESC, because ESC C-h is actually C-M-h,
    which marks a defun. However, ESC F1 and ESC ? work fine.)

I guess this is working as intended, then?  I was thinking of the
recommendation in the style guide, which I have read many times more
than the manual:

    Don’t bind C-h following any prefix character (including
    C-c). If you don’t bind C-h, it is automatically available as
    a help character for listing the subcommands of the prefix
    character.