Subject: bug#25722: 26.0.50; awk-mode does not recognize comments

From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 13:26:51 +0200

With emacs 26,
  emacs -Q /tmp/test.awk
now, add a comment:

# this is a comment

it does not get font-locked; same thing does work with emacs 25.x

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.9 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.7)
 of 2017-02-13 built on borealis
Repository revision: 4b18ef7ba3dd8aae4f3c3bf931365ef7da883baf
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:	Fedora release 25 (Twenty Five)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
test.awk has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Saving file /tmp/test.awk...
Wrote /tmp/test.awk
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
LIBSYSTEMD

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_DK.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: AWK/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cc-awk cc-mode cc-fonts
easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs cl gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117579 7635)
 (symbols 48 22831 1)
 (miscs 40 42 140)
 (strings 32 24505 4356)
 (string-bytes 1 868356)
 (vectors 16 16292)
 (vector-slots 8 493391 3676)
 (floats 8 184 53)
 (intervals 56 245 2)
 (buffers 976 13))