Subject: bug#25710: Acknowledgement (25.1.91; vc-retrieve-tag does not offer branch namd completion)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 01:31:05 +0200

On 14.02.2017 23:01, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Dmitry> Should we call it list-tags, similarly to the name of the command?
> 
> This bit is fine by me.

It would be a bit pointless without the second part. If we decide 
against it, list-branches is probably the better choice.

So I wonder what other people think.

> Dmitry> And return tags together with branches in the Git implementation.
> 
> I am not so sure about this.  I've never (literally never) wanted to
> check out a tag with Git.  I do sometimes check out a specific revision.

Me neither, but... people do use tags to mark specific, *important* 
revisions. And supposedly check them out sometimes (maybe to see the 
exact code the "current production" version has?).

I do check out specific revisions sometimes too, but providing 
completion for that is fairly impossible. Completing tags seems like the 
next best thing.

> But... the UI doesn't prohibit this, it just only offers branches for
> completion.  I tend to think that's the most useful.

Branches are most useful indeed.

> Another idea would be to add a defcustom for this.

I don't imagine having tags in there would really hurt, even if we don't 
pick them. IME tags usually follow a particular naming convention, so 
they won't interfere with completion.