Subject: Re: bug#25706: 26.0.50; Slow C file fontification

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 20:32:05 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 22:04:20 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 18:46:55 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>,
> >  Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> > Move point to a line with a large percentage and type RET to expand
> > it.  You can repeat this to expand further.  Please expand the lines
> > down to where the percentages remaining are around 5% or 6%.  There
> > will be quite a lot of lines near the start showing the same large
> > percentage.

> One can also expand everything with "C-u RET".

Thanks.  I didn't know that.  I don't think that's in the Elisp manual.

Also useful would be a command to expand "everything which is
sufficiently big" for some value of "sufficiently big", to avoid swathes
of irrelevancies down at 1% or 0%.

I once tried to amend the profiler to move its statistics columns
further to the right, because I was seeing far too many truncated
function names.  But I gave up, because the code was masses and masses
of tiny functions, largely without doc strings or comments, and I just
couldn't make sense of it.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).