Subject: Re: bug#25689: gnome-shell segfaults

From: Catonano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 10:02:52 +0100

2017-02-11 15:31 GMT+01:00 ng0 <[email-masked]>:

> So, I am not 100% sure if I encouter hardware failures or software
> failures here. But I need to solve wether this is a GNOME bug to exclude
> or include the hardware failure.
>
> The following is the log output of a session with SSDM where I
> succesfully log into "GNOME with Xorg" and launch the GNOME-Terminal
> after I logged into GNOME.
>
> The visual side of the log can be described like this: I can see how
> the terminal application opens, but just a milisecond after it's ready I
> see the window decoration disappearing, content of the application
> stays, GNOME session crashes, on a dark scree I see for a moment:
>
> vmunix: [  226.579414] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: 0xD4A7: Parsing digital
> output script table
>
> and I get thrown back to the log in screen of SDDM.
>
> Occasionally gnome-terminal or some other gnome part would crash my
> gnome session when I still used SLIM.
>
> This is on commit 883aab6462c49d4f4846a6f22168325e70227663
> but has been happening for a very long time before this commit.
>

I use the Gnome terminal all the time and I can't confirm your
experience

CAVEATS:

1) I don't know whether I'm using SSDM or SLIM. I just took the basic
desktop conf file when I installed

2) this is my video card

~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core
processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

~$ egrep -i " connected|card detect|primary dev|Setting driver"
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
[     7.760] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version
1.6.0 20160919