Subject: 25.1; Emacs GDBINIT file error?

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 13:16:52 -0500

[I got a SMTP error message:

   421 4.4.2 mtaout-mac02.mx.aol.com Error: timeout exceeded
   Process smtpmail connection broken by remote peer

 so hopefully this bug report is not a duplicate.]
 
Hi,

        I have what I believe is an error in the interaction with
        my current version of GDB and the Emacs .gdbinit file.

        The version of the .gdbinit file I have is:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/src/.gdbinit?h=emacs-25

        This is what I see whe starting up GDB in Emacs:

0. emacs -Q &

1. M-x gdb
gdb -i=mi /usr/bin/emacs

Current directory is /usr/bin/
GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora 7.11-66.fc24
Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
/home/liveuser/.gdbinit:19: Error in sourced command file:
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/emacs...Reading symbols from /usr/bin/emacs...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) 

      You will notice that it complains about line 19 in the .gdbinit
      file, which is:

               set $dummy = main + 8

      This, of course, means that commands that are defined after
      that statement later on in the .gdbinit file, like "xgetptr",
      don't get defined:

(gdb) xgetptr
Undefined command: "xgetptr".  Try "help".

     Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.9)
 of 2016-10-13 built on buildvm-05.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail gnus-dup sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color
shr-color color shr dom subr-x browse-url mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table nnagent nnml cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
nndoc mm-archive jka-compr timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
url-handlers nnfolder utf-7 rfc2104 network-stream nsm starttls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache epa-file epa derived nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars
json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl gv sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns
help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 297684 46094)
 (symbols 48 124368 0)
 (miscs 40 273 339)
 (strings 32 105813 7461)
 (string-bytes 1 3696324)
 (vectors 16 25434)
 (vector-slots 8 698572 22934)
 (floats 8 570 705)
 (intervals 56 4077 52)
 (buffers 976 44)
 (heap 1024 68504 21137))