Subject: bug#25656: closed (Re: bug#25656: [PATCH] 25.1; remember-notes-mode makes every temporary buffer created from it unkillable)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 12:16:03 +0000

Your bug report

#25656: 25.1; remember-notes-mode makes every temporary buffer created from it unkillable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25656: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25656
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25656: [PATCH] 25.1; remember-notes-mode makes every temporary buffer created from it unkillable
From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:15:45 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bug reason found in Org, resubmitting issue on their bug tracker.

Subject: 25.1; remember-notes-mode makes every temporary buffer created from it unkillable
From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 00:12:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I wrote an Emacs package that takes an Org file, processes it with Org's
element API and exports to a file.  Later I've noticed that if I use it
on an Org buffer created with remember-notes-mode, it creates ~500
temporary buffers that cannot be killed.  Bisection reveals that this is
the fault of `remember-notes--kill-buffer-query` which is added locally
to `kill-buffer-query-functions` and returns nil if
`remember-notes-bury-on-kill` hasn't been customized.

This raises an interesting question, should a temporary buffer as
created by `with-temp-buffer` let-bind potentially troublesome hooks
including, but not limited to `kill-buffer-query-functions`?  Another
example coming to mind is `buffer-list-update-hook`, adding a function
to it that scans the buffer list makes creating and killing temporary
buffers an expensive action.