Subject: bug#25641: 25.1; insert-char function inconsistency

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:08:48 +0200

> From: Pablo Mercader Alcántara <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:04:01 -0400
> 
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   old-name: BELL
>   general-category: Cc (Other, Control)
> [...]
> Character code properties: customize what to show
>   name: BELL
>   general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
>   decomposition: (128276) ('🔔')
> 
> Its a different character but it also states that I could write it using
> C-x 8 RET BELL. To me that is an inconsistency, because one of the
> commands that the help screen showed me was C-x 8 RET BELL and that
> clearly doesn't work.

It's not an inconsistency: the first one has BELL as its "old name"
property (and has no "name" property), the second one as its "name"
property.  This is per Unicode definitions in their character
database, which Emacs uses for this feature.  Unicode removed the
names of low control characters in some version of their standard,
leaving the "old name" behind for compatibility.

Emacs displays "old name" if "name" is missing.

If you type "C-x 8 RET BELL" and hit TAB right after that, Emacs will
tell you this is "complete, but not unique".  Another TAB will pop up
the list of completion candidates, where you will see both BELLs (and
a couple more characters).

I don't think there's a bug here.

Thanks.